The perfect grab n’ go whole food balanced breakfast! With making just a tweek to a couple of the ingredients, my Mother-in-law deserves the recipe cred here. They are a hit amongst the whole family and perfect for kids too!
*Makes a dozen.
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 onion- diced fine
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 sweet red pepper - de-seeded, diced fine
1 small zucchini
1 tomato- de-seeded, diced fine
1/2 cup chopped smoked turkey (optional)
2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill).
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk or 1 cup almond milk
2 cups of grated cheese (cheddar or you choose)
3 tbsp minced fresh parsley (optional)
*to save time dicing onion, pepper, zucchini and tomato consider using a food processor
*to reduce moisture in the recipe, halve tomato and squeeze juice and seeds into a bowl before chopping. You can also do this with the zucchini by sprinkling sea salt onto it and allowing the moisture to surface before chopping.
*to make this recipe dairy free just sub with almond milk and eliminate the cheese. Just as tasty.
1. In a skillet heat butter or coconut oil over med-high heat, add onion and oregano, sea salt and pepper. Cook and stir until onion is softened, about 3 mins.
2. Add red pepper and zucchini, continue cooking until all vegetables are softened, about 4 mins.
3. Remove from heat and stir in tomato, and optional turkey. Set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 425 F.
5. Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk milk and eggs. And in a separate bowl combine flour and baking powder.
6. Add dry ingredients to wet, and whisk until lumps mostly gone.
7. Add and fold in vegetable mixture to bowl, as well as the cheese and parsley.
8. Fill muffin tins to the top (deep muffin tray is best if you have one). Option to grease tins with extra coconut oil.
9. Bake In oven at 425 until puffed, firm and golden, about 25 mins. Let cool for 5mins before removing from tins. Let stand cool on a plate or rack before storing.
10. Enjoy right away, or store in air tight glass container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Or freeze and defrost and reheat as needed.
A collection of some of my favourite share worthy eats and treats! Whether you are a meat eater, vegetarian, vegan or somewhere in between, I hope you and your family will enjoy these tasty and health conscious recommendations to nourish both body and mind.