A twist on the old morning glory muffin. Made with carrot and apple and a satisfying crunchy walnut topping. Walnuts are nature’s brain food, high in plant derived omega 3s. There’s a reason why these nuts are shaped like mini brains afterall...Hope you enjoy this modified morning glory muffin recipe!
**makes a dozen
**gluten free, dairy free, natural sugars
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 cup almond flour (pack down into the measuring cup)
1 cup whole oats
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking Sosa
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 ground ginger
1/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup grated carrot (about 1 carrot)
3/4 cup grated apple (about 1 small apple, no need to peel skin. Use apple of your choice, I used a gala).
1/2 cup Yoso coconut yogurt (unsweetened)
1/3 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Rough chop walnuts into small pieces. And grease muffin pan with coconut oil.
2. In a large mixing bowl mix combine dry ingredients- almond flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon and ginger.
3. Add the grated carrot and apple and fold to combine.
4. In another bowl combine wet ingredients- melted or liquid coconut oil, egg, yogurt, honey, and vanilla.
5. Add wet ingredients to the dry. Stir gently until combined. Do not overmix.
6. Divide batter evenly amongst muffin cups. Evenly top muffins with chopped walnut pieces.
7. Bake for 18-22 mins until tooth pick inserted to centre of muffin comes out clean. Let muffin tray cool for 5 mins before transferring muffins to cooling rack.
8. Serve, store or freeze.
A collection of some of my favourite share worthy eats and treats! Whether you are a meat eater, vegetarian, vegan or somewhere in between, I hope you and your family will enjoy these tasty and health conscious recommendations to nourish both body and mind.